14:30:19 <asmacdo> #startmeeting Pulp Triage 2019-06-07
14:30:19 <asmacdo> #info asmacdo has joined triage
14:30:19 <asmacdo> !start
14:30:19 <pulpbot> Meeting started Fri Jun  7 14:30:19 2019 UTC.  The chair is asmacdo. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
14:30:19 <pulpbot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
14:30:19 <pulpbot> The meeting name has been set to 'pulp_triage_2019-06-07'
14:30:19 <pulpbot> asmacdo: asmacdo has joined triage
14:30:37 <ppicka> #info ppicka has joined triage
14:30:37 <ppicka> !here
14:30:38 <pulpbot> ppicka: ppicka has joined triage
14:30:54 <daviddavis> #info daviddavis has joined triage
14:30:54 <daviddavis> !here
14:30:55 <pulpbot> daviddavis: daviddavis has joined triage
14:30:58 <asmacdo> !next
14:30:58 <dawalker> !here
14:30:59 <asmacdo> #topic https://pulp.plan.io/issues/3308
14:30:59 <dawalker> #info dawalker has joined triage
14:30:59 <pulpbot> asmacdo: 8 issues left to triage: 3308, 4891, 4903, 4910, 4917, 4920, 4921, 4929
14:31:00 <pulpbot> RM 3308 - kersom - NEW - Sync of unchanged importer update repo version
14:31:01 <pulpbot> https://pulp.plan.io/issues/3308
14:31:02 <pulpbot> dawalker: dawalker has joined triage
14:31:13 <bmbouter> #info bmbouter has joined triage
14:31:13 <bmbouter> !here
14:31:13 <pulpbot> bmbouter: bmbouter has joined triage
14:31:17 <ggainey> #info ggainey has joined triage
14:31:17 <ggainey> !here
14:31:17 <pulpbot> ggainey: ggainey has joined triage
14:31:24 <bherring> #info bherring has joined triage
14:31:24 <bherring> !here
14:31:24 <pulpbot> bherring: bherring has joined triage
14:31:53 <asmacdo> this is interesting
14:32:20 <kersom> asmacdo, you explained to me that was the expected behaviour a time ago
14:32:32 <kersom> you explore this feature in many tests
14:32:36 <kersom> we*
14:32:37 <bmbouter> oh we reopened this one
14:32:39 <bmbouter> daviddavis and I
14:32:47 <bmbouter> we agree that we think this is the expected behavior
14:32:59 <bmbouter> but we wanted to talk about it because we couldn't remember talking about it
14:33:16 <kersom> I see
14:33:37 <kersom> I linked in the #4920 as related to the #3308
14:33:41 <asmacdo> actually, the reasoning i put there may not be true anymore
14:33:52 <bmbouter> for triage I propose we skip and chat at open floor
14:33:52 <kersom> why?
14:33:55 <asmacdo> IIRC latest_version is now a query
14:34:05 <dkliban> #info dkliban has joined triage
14:34:05 <dkliban> !here
14:34:05 <pulpbot> dkliban: dkliban has joined triage
14:34:05 <asmacdo> so if the version is gone, it will still work
14:34:19 <asmacdo> #idea Proposed for #3308: move discussioon to open floor
14:34:19 <asmacdo> !propose other move discussioon to open floor
14:34:19 <pulpbot> asmacdo: Proposed for #3308: move discussioon to open floor
14:34:42 <asmacdo> #agreed move discussioon to open floor
14:34:42 <asmacdo> !accept
14:34:42 <pulpbot> asmacdo: Current proposal accepted: move discussioon to open floor
14:34:43 <pulpbot> asmacdo: 7 issues left to triage: 4891, 4903, 4910, 4917, 4920, 4921, 4929
14:34:43 <asmacdo> #topic https://pulp.plan.io/issues/4891
14:34:44 <pulpbot> RM 4891 - Fah - NEW - The client side ssl cert for pulp should follow http header standards
14:34:45 <pulpbot> https://pulp.plan.io/issues/4891
14:35:28 <asmacdo> darn. i thought maybe the corrrect query was working, but apparently not
14:35:31 <ipanova> #info ipanova has joined triage
14:35:31 <ipanova> !here
14:35:31 <pulpbot> ipanova: ipanova has joined triage
14:35:41 <bmbouter> we talked on this at sprint planning and said it should go on the sprint
14:35:44 <asmacdo> do we want to include certguard on triage?
14:35:52 <bmbouter> oic what you're saying
14:36:16 <bmbouter> yeah these never got put on the sprint  https://pulp.plan.io/projects/certguard/issues?query_id=26
14:36:26 <mikedep333> #info mikedep333 has joined triage
14:36:26 <mikedep333> !here
14:36:26 <pulpbot> mikedep333: mikedep333 has joined triage
14:36:50 <ipanova> let's mark it as triaged?
14:36:52 <bmbouter> we can fix the cerguard stuff/sprint stuff later
14:36:57 <bmbouter> +1 triaged sounds good
14:36:59 <asmacdo> #idea Proposed for #4891: Leave the issue as-is, accepting its current state.
14:36:59 <asmacdo> !propose accept
14:36:59 <pulpbot> asmacdo: Proposed for #4891: Leave the issue as-is, accepting its current state.
14:37:16 <asmacdo> #agreed Leave the issue as-is, accepting its current state.
14:37:16 <asmacdo> !accept
14:37:16 <pulpbot> asmacdo: Current proposal accepted: Leave the issue as-is, accepting its current state.
14:37:17 <pulpbot> asmacdo: 6 issues left to triage: 4903, 4910, 4917, 4920, 4921, 4929
14:37:18 <asmacdo> #topic https://pulp.plan.io/issues/4903
14:37:18 <pulpbot> RM 4903 - mdellweg - NEW - python bindings are unable to nullify repository description
14:37:20 <pulpbot> https://pulp.plan.io/issues/4903
14:38:15 <asmacdo> i commented on this, lets skip again. ill ping x9c4 on monday and we can maybe close next triage
14:38:23 <asmacdo> #idea Proposed for #4903: Skip this issue for this triage session.
14:38:23 <asmacdo> !propose skip
14:38:23 <pulpbot> asmacdo: Proposed for #4903: Skip this issue for this triage session.
14:38:33 <bmbouter> one sec
14:38:58 <bmbouter> mdellweg I saying that httpie is working but the bindings are not
14:39:02 <bmbouter> s/I/is/
14:39:13 * asmacdo facepalm
14:39:13 <bmbouter> and I've also heard about this issue I think from katello iirc
14:39:25 <dkliban> yeah
14:39:28 <dkliban> it's a legit bug
14:39:28 <asmacdo> #idea Proposed for #4903: accept and add to sprint
14:39:28 <asmacdo> !propose other accept and add to sprint
14:39:28 <pulpbot> asmacdo: Proposed for #4903: accept and add to sprint
14:39:30 <bmbouter> asmacdo: all good!
14:39:46 <asmacdo> do we wanna add a P tag to it?
14:39:59 <dkliban> nah ... it's a python specific bug
14:40:13 <dkliban> i don't think there is a problem for katello
14:40:16 <asmacdo> ack
14:40:18 <bmbouter> dkliban: ack
14:40:28 <asmacdo> so, sprint?
14:40:30 <bmbouter> +1
14:40:36 <dkliban> +1
14:40:41 <asmacdo> #agreed accept and add to sprint
14:40:41 <asmacdo> !accept
14:40:41 <pulpbot> asmacdo: Current proposal accepted: accept and add to sprint
14:40:43 <asmacdo> #topic https://pulp.plan.io/issues/4910
14:40:43 <pulpbot> asmacdo: 5 issues left to triage: 4910, 4917, 4920, 4921, 4929
14:40:44 <pulpbot> RM 4910 - rochacbruno - NEW - AnsibleDistribution allows setting repo and repo_version together in a PUT request
14:40:45 <pulpbot> https://pulp.plan.io/issues/4910
14:41:01 <daviddavis> skip
14:41:07 <bmbouter> +1
14:41:12 <bmbouter> dkliban: FYI tho ^
14:41:13 <asmacdo> !skip
14:41:14 <pulpbot> asmacdo: 4 issues left to triage: 4917, 4920, 4921, 4929
14:41:14 <asmacdo> #topic https://pulp.plan.io/issues/4917
14:41:15 <pulpbot> RM 4917 - jsherril@redhat.com - NEW - deploly static content to something other than 'static'
14:41:16 <pulpbot> https://pulp.plan.io/issues/4917
14:41:29 <dkliban> accept and add to sprint
14:41:37 <daviddavis> there's a setting for this. I guess it needs to be in the installer?
14:41:39 <bmbouter> yup this is an easy one
14:42:03 <asmacdo> an easy one... if we agree on where to put it
14:42:11 <bmbouter> it's set as installer but it reads as if it's against pulp itself
14:42:16 <dalley> /var/lip/pulp/staticfiles ?
14:42:52 <bmbouter> generally we've renamed the pulp2 version (that's what we are doing with the systemd names)
14:42:52 <asmacdo> sounds good to me
14:42:59 <asmacdo> oh ok
14:43:37 <bmbouter> I think this has to be installer focused (like that tag suggests)
14:43:49 <asmacdo> ... iguess lets skip this one. it probably should go to the list if we are going to change pulp2 instead
14:43:57 <bmbouter> because Pulp can have this configured already
14:44:07 <bmbouter> skip is ok w/ me
14:44:34 <asmacdo> bmbouter: would you mind bringing this up on the list
14:45:05 <asmacdo> or we can discuss on the issue first if you prefer
14:45:20 <bmbouter> asmacdo: yes I can take some action today
14:45:26 <asmacdo> cool
14:45:29 <asmacdo> !skip
14:45:30 <pulpbot> asmacdo: 3 issues left to triage: 4920, 4921, 4929
14:45:30 <asmacdo> #topic https://pulp.plan.io/issues/4920
14:45:31 <pulpbot> RM 4920 - kersom - ASSIGNED - Collection - Repository versions not being update after successive syncs
14:45:32 <pulpbot> https://pulp.plan.io/issues/4920
14:45:52 <asmacdo> !skip
14:45:53 <pulpbot> asmacdo: 2 issues left to triage: 4921, 4929
14:45:53 <asmacdo> #topic https://pulp.plan.io/issues/4921
14:45:54 <pulpbot> RM 4921 - dkliban@redhat.com - NEW - canceled tasks have progress reports in not final states
14:45:54 <asmacdo> (ansible)
14:45:55 <pulpbot> https://pulp.plan.io/issues/4921
14:45:58 <bmbouter> +1
14:46:32 <asmacdo> ooh nice find dkliban
14:46:36 <bmbouter> yup
14:46:50 <bmbouter> accept but no sprint?
14:46:54 <bmbouter> or sprint?
14:46:58 <asmacdo> #idea Proposed for #4921: Leave the issue as-is, accepting its current state.
14:46:58 <asmacdo> !propose accept
14:46:58 <pulpbot> asmacdo: Proposed for #4921: Leave the issue as-is, accepting its current state.
14:47:17 <asmacdo> lets accept and add 3.0 milestone, but no sprint
14:47:22 <daviddavis> ok
14:47:25 <dkliban> ok
14:47:26 <bmbouter> great idea
14:47:52 <asmacdo> #agreed Leave the issue as-is, accepting its current state.
14:47:52 <asmacdo> !accept
14:47:52 <pulpbot> asmacdo: Current proposal accepted: Leave the issue as-is, accepting its current state.
14:47:53 <asmacdo> #topic https://pulp.plan.io/issues/4929
14:47:54 <pulpbot> asmacdo: 1 issues left to triage: 4929
14:47:55 <pulpbot> RM 4929 - ymadav - NEW - Pulp 2.18 having issues to start workers celery and communication to rabbitmq
14:47:56 <pulpbot> https://pulp.plan.io/issues/4929
14:48:14 <dalley> oh boy
14:48:43 <asmacdo> well, for one this needs to be under pulp, not infrastructure
14:48:51 <asmacdo> we would have missed this if pulpbot had rebooted
14:48:58 <daviddavis> lol, they asked specifically for me
14:49:22 <dkliban> lol
14:49:23 <ipanova> daviddavis: feeling privileged :-P
14:49:45 <daviddavis> hehe
14:50:10 <daviddavis> I can investigate I suppose
14:50:21 <dawalker> I mean, they did ask for you...
14:50:24 <asmacdo> want me to switch the project, but leave untriaged?
14:50:32 <daviddavis> sure
14:50:41 <ttereshc> +1
14:50:48 <ttereshc> thank you daviddavis :)
14:51:14 <asmacdo> #idea Proposed for #4929: switch project to pulp, leave untriaged, daviddavis will save the day
14:51:14 <asmacdo> !propose other switch project to pulp, leave untriaged, daviddavis will  save the day
14:51:14 <pulpbot> asmacdo: Proposed for #4929: switch project to pulp, leave untriaged, daviddavis will save the day
14:51:19 <ipanova> +1
14:51:24 <ggainey> :)
14:51:35 <ipanova> daviddavis: ftw
14:51:43 <asmacdo> #agreed switch project to pulp, leave untriaged, daviddavis will save the day
14:51:43 <asmacdo> !accept
14:51:43 <pulpbot> asmacdo: Current proposal accepted: switch project to pulp, leave untriaged, daviddavis will save the day
14:51:44 <pulpbot> asmacdo: No issues to triage.
14:52:08 <asmacdo> open floor
14:52:12 <asmacdo> !issue 3308
14:52:13 <asmacdo> #topic https://pulp.plan.io/issues/3308
14:52:13 <pulpbot> RM 3308 - kersom - NEW - Sync of unchanged importer update repo version
14:52:14 <pulpbot> https://pulp.plan.io/issues/3308
14:52:34 <daviddavis> so this would be a major change to the sync workflow. I think the first thing we do during a sync is create a repo version
14:52:47 <daviddavis> before we download metadat
14:52:49 <daviddavis> a
14:53:14 <bmbouter> I think I'm in favor of our current behavior
14:53:21 <asmacdo> we wouldnt need to make a dramatic change
14:53:36 <asmacdo> we could just determine at the end if the sync was a no-op and delete the new version
14:53:41 <bmbouter> agreed
14:53:55 <daviddavis> that sounds simple but I can foresee problems :)
14:53:58 <asmacdo> that would be awkward for the version numbers, but you wouldnt have "empty" versions
14:54:04 <kersom> https://github.com/pulp/pulpcore/blob/d4f8baceeccfeaf0b3c3be39bed39d73d2a66bb3/pulpcore/tests/functional/api/using_plugin/test_repo_versions.py#L240
14:54:15 <kersom> that is the test for this feature
14:54:16 <bmbouter> I'd like us to focus on the user experience first
14:54:37 <bmbouter> so the user sets up nightly sync's (let's assume that)
14:55:05 <kersom> what has change since when this issue was opened?
14:55:16 <bmbouter> when remote contents don't change the user gets a bunch of versions that don't change
14:55:38 <bmbouter> kersom: not much has changed except daviddavis and I realized that there is no recommendation to plugin writers one way or the other
14:55:48 <kersom> thanks
14:55:49 <bmbouter> and we ended up w/ pulp_ansible that was "doing it differently arbitrarily"
14:55:51 <asmacdo> kersom: mostly its the same, but my argument https://pulp.plan.io/issues/3308#note-2 is not valid anymore
14:56:06 <kersom> asmacdo, thanks
14:56:17 <daviddavis> in terms of user experience and doing something like nightly syncs, I could see arguments for both sides
14:56:25 <bmbouter> yeah me too
14:56:30 <asmacdo> bmbouter++
14:56:30 <pulpbot> asmacdo: bmbouter's karma is now 153
14:56:43 <bmbouter> aww shucks asmacdo :)
14:56:51 <asmacdo> it could go either way, lets keep it as-is unless users want something different
14:57:13 <daviddavis> the only problem with that is I think we're locked into one or the other at GA
14:57:16 <bmbouter> so here's the reasoning I came up w/ that what we have now is supreme
14:57:48 <bmbouter> users configure something to sync nightly. sync's in normal scenarios create versions so users expect this. And if it sync's and doesn't create version this will have gaps in the days
14:58:13 <bmbouter> and when I want something to sync nightly and there isn't one thing for every night I would conclude that something was wrong and the software was unreliable
14:58:59 <daviddavis> yep. also, to add: if users don't want empty versions, it's easy to clean them up after each nightly sync
14:59:03 <bmbouter> so creating a version w/ each sync aligns us w/ the prinicple of least surprise
14:59:04 <asmacdo> +1, and users might want to map version numbers to sync numbers
14:59:23 <bmbouter> those are both good points too
14:59:25 <asmacdo> "the version from the second sync, which occurred yesterday"
14:59:29 <bmbouter> yup...
14:59:52 <daviddavis> so if we are in agreement, maybe update this to a docs task?
14:59:58 <ggainey> +1
15:00:08 <kersom> bmbouter, interesting. but we currently do not have anything mapping the amount of syncs, neither when the last happened, reading what we are discussing those fields seem relevant as well.
15:00:41 <bmbouter> kersom: that mapping isn't a workflow pulp's data is helping to maintain so there wouldn't be formal foreign keys in the data model (at least currently)
15:00:42 <kersom> mapping the repo version to whatever created the repo version...
15:00:59 <bmbouter> kersom: oic
15:01:05 <dawalker> +1 principle of least surprise
15:01:10 <daviddavis> can you get that info from the task status table? via created resource
15:01:38 <kersom> I think we could, but I need to investigate
15:01:44 <bmbouter> daviddavis: I think the main thing you are missing today is a record of the sync params and also 1-time params
15:01:48 <asmacdo> i dont see created_resource as a filter for tasks list
15:01:48 <bmbouter> kersom: I will think about this some more
15:02:04 <bmbouter> asmacdo: oh interesting, that would be a good thing
15:02:32 <bmbouter> daviddavis: so for this task can we make it a docs task, rewrite it some, and add to the sprint?
15:02:40 <dkliban> quba42: bmbouter: jsherrill: ttereshc: anyone else: let's discuss migration plan in #pulp-2to3-sig
15:02:41 <bmbouter> I'm ok to do ^ if someone else would want to groom by editing
15:02:45 <daviddavis> bmbouter: +1 from me
15:02:49 <bmbouter> dkliban: oh thank you!
15:02:52 <bmbouter> gotta run
15:03:07 <bmbouter> I'll take the next step on this issue today (editing it) and reraise it here
15:03:12 <daviddavis> cool
15:03:24 <asmacdo> thanks bmbouter
15:04:09 <asmacdo> dkliban: want that to be part of triage?
15:04:29 <dkliban> no
15:04:40 <asmacdo> k, in that case ill end
15:04:53 <kersom> asmacdo++
15:04:53 <pulpbot> kersom: asmacdo's karma is now 117
15:04:56 <asmacdo> #endmeeting
15:04:56 <asmacdo> !end