14:31:51 <asmacdo> #startmeeting Pulp Triage 2019-07-02
14:31:51 <asmacdo> !start
14:31:51 <asmacdo> #info asmacdo has joined triage
14:31:51 <pulpbot> Meeting started Tue Jul  2 14:31:51 2019 UTC.  The chair is asmacdo. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
14:31:51 <pulpbot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
14:31:51 <pulpbot> The meeting name has been set to 'pulp_triage_2019-07-02'
14:31:51 <pulpbot> asmacdo: asmacdo has joined triage
14:32:00 <ttereshc> #info ttereshc has joined triage
14:32:00 <ttereshc> !here
14:32:00 <pulpbot> ttereshc: ttereshc has joined triage
14:32:05 <dkliban> #info dkliban has joined triage
14:32:05 <dkliban> !here
14:32:05 <pulpbot> dkliban: dkliban has joined triage
14:32:08 <ppicka> #info ppicka has joined triage
14:32:08 <ppicka> !here
14:32:08 <pulpbot> ppicka: ppicka has joined triage
14:32:08 <mikedep333> #info mikedep333 has joined triage
14:32:09 <mikedep333> !here
14:32:10 <pulpbot> mikedep333: mikedep333 has joined triage
14:32:10 <asmacdo> !next
14:32:11 <pulpbot> asmacdo: No issues to triage.
14:32:15 <asmacdo> oh
14:32:18 <asmacdo> um
14:32:23 <asmacdo> open floooooor!
14:32:37 <dkliban> https://pulp.plan.io/issues/5028
14:32:44 <asmacdo> !issue 5028
14:32:44 <asmacdo> #topic https://pulp.plan.io/issues/5028
14:32:45 <pulpbot> RM 5028 - dkliban@redhat.com - NEW - RepositoryVersion.create() can't be called outside of a task
14:32:46 <pulpbot> https://pulp.plan.io/issues/5028
14:32:50 <dkliban> it's a story that needs to be groomed
14:32:58 <bherring> #info bherring has joined triage
14:32:58 <bherring> !here
14:32:58 <asmacdo> ooh yeah, thanks for bringing this up
14:32:58 <pulpbot> bherring: bherring has joined triage
14:33:17 <daviddavis> !here!here
14:33:17 <pulpbot> daviddavis: Error: "here!here" is not a valid command.
14:33:23 <daviddavis> #info daviddavis has joined triage
14:33:23 <daviddavis> !here
14:33:23 <pulpbot> daviddavis: daviddavis has joined triage
14:33:23 <asmacdo> im concerned about correctness problems with this one
14:33:48 <ggainey> #info ggainey has joined triage
14:33:48 <ggainey> !here
14:33:48 <pulpbot> ggainey: ggainey has joined triage
14:33:59 <asmacdo> we rely on the tasking system for repository locking, and this could lead to concurrency problems
14:34:22 <lmjachky> #info lmjachky has joined triage
14:34:22 <lmjachky> !here
14:34:22 <pulpbot> lmjachky: lmjachky has joined triage
14:34:27 <dkliban> asmacdo: this would only be used for temporary repository version creation
14:35:00 <ipanova> !help
14:35:00 <pulpbot> ipanova: (help [<plugin>] [<command>]) -- This command gives a useful description of what <command> does. <plugin> is only necessary if the command is in more than one plugin. You may also want to use the 'list' command to list all available plugins and commands.
14:35:14 <dkliban> this would come with documentation that states that plugins should only use this to create versions temporarily
14:35:33 <dkliban> the other option is to add some sort of other resource type in pulp
14:35:38 <asmacdo> dkliban: could a temporary repo verson be a pulpcore concept
14:35:52 <dkliban> asmacdo: yeah .. .that's what i was suggesting
14:36:04 <asmacdo> heh yeah, lag
14:36:21 <dkliban> that's the other option
14:36:35 <dkliban> is that we create a concept of content collections
14:36:48 <dkliban> or temporary repository
14:37:13 <dkliban> the main idea is that you can create a set of content without going through the tasking ystem
14:37:18 <asmacdo> a "staging version" would maybe come in handy for the cd burner use case
14:37:24 <dkliban> and that you can use that set of content to create a repository version
14:38:14 <asmacdo> this seems like a good idea to me, but i would like to hear if other plugins would want to make use of it
14:38:29 <dkliban> i think katello would eventually want to make sure of it
14:38:33 <dkliban> make use of it
14:39:06 <dkliban> or our users
14:39:50 <dkliban> users could create content sets by applying filters to repository versions
14:40:21 <asmacdo> dkliban: imo this story needs a bit of design planning before grooming
14:40:32 <daviddavis> what would happen if I try to sync a repository that has a staging version?
14:40:34 <dkliban> yeah ... that's why we are talking about it
14:41:21 <dkliban> daviddavis: which design are you talking about? what is written in the ticket or what we were just discussing?
14:41:59 <daviddavis> what we were just discussing
14:42:58 <dkliban> daviddavis: in the design where users can create 'content sets', the repository is not affected. it is only when the user uses the repository version create API and passes in the href to the content set, a new repo version is created
14:43:04 <ggainey> can we dump this discussion into the issue as a comment, and then continue hashing out the design in the issue?
14:43:18 <dkliban> ggainey: sure
14:43:45 <daviddavis> I think you maybe misunderstood my question but we can follow up on the issue
14:44:29 <asmacdo> any other issues?
14:44:45 <daviddavis> I have some
14:45:12 <ggainey> dkliban: just hate losing interesting/difficult archhitecture-discussions in a temporal medium like IRC
14:45:14 <daviddavis> https://pulp.plan.io/issues/5021 and https://pulp.plan.io/issues/5026
14:45:23 <daviddavis> PRs are open for these
14:46:02 <dkliban> ggainey: the triage logs get uploaded to our webserver daily
14:46:11 <ggainey> dkliban: ah yes, fair enough
14:46:19 <dkliban> ggainey: but i do intend to write this up
14:46:24 * ggainey cheers
14:46:40 <asmacdo> daviddavis: seems good to me, add to Sprint?
14:46:45 <daviddavis> +1
14:46:47 <ggainey> +1
14:46:51 <asmacdo> or are you asking for review too
14:47:05 <daviddavis> review would be great but mostly just add to sprint
14:47:48 <asmacdo> cool I'll review in a few
14:48:26 <asmacdo> any other issues?
14:50:32 <asmacdo> #endmeeting
14:50:32 <asmacdo> !end